Learn how to make your own maracas at home and then play along with an original song by Abigail Loyd, MT-BC!
Maracas are one of my favorite instruments! They are easy to play and I love the sound they make.
Today, I'm going to teach you how to make your own maracas at home! You can use the directions here or follow the video instructions at the bottom of this page. After you have your maracas made, watch "Hey, Hey Maracas" and play and dance along with me!
Here are the materials you need to make one pair of maracas:
1. 2 Easter eggs
2. 4 plastic spoons
3. Rice, dried beans, or craft beads, etc.
That's all you need! Ready to make those maracas?
To make your maracas: (Video below)
1. Open your Easter eggs and put 3-4 pinches of rice inside
2. Close your Easter eggs and cover the seams with a long piece of tape so the rice stays inside and you cannot open the egg again
3. Position 2 of your plastic spoons around 1 of your Easter eggs (see photo)
4. Take a long piece of tape and tape the two spoons around the Easter egg
5. Repeat for your second maraca
6. Put a piece of tape around the bottom of the spoon handles to further secure the spoons
7. Now shake, shake, shake! Watch "Hey, Hey Maracas" and play along!
"Hey, Hey Maracas" works on gross and fine motor skills, direction following, and motor planning. Enjoy the song and let us know what you think in the comments below! If you want to make more DIY instruments, discover other activities, or learn more about music therapy, explore our blog and website!